Thursday, October 05, 2006

Welcome to the Sky

Alright, back home at the job once again, after a short evening trip to Stockholm. The plan was to visit the Swedish Game Awards arranged event, Gamer's Challenge at Zkillz. Aswell as to greet some friends that also used to study at Game Development and Interactive Media, Gotland.

At the train station, we didn't find the train that was supposed to go towards Stockholm. It was going to depart from track 0, but the only tracks visible were 1-4 (or was it 1-5?), so where could this mystery track zero be?

The time was cutting close, until Patrick (my co-worker) spotted a awkward sign that was pointing behind a corner, so we started to run. It lead to the front of the station, where there was another sign pointing behind a food kiosk, and yet another one pointing down along the street and away from the station.

We started to run faster. It seemed like they were constructing something between track zero and one, so we had to run around the entire enclosement, but we made it just in time, and it started to move before we had a chance to sit down.

While there, we met our president (Johan Kristiansson) for this compnay, and the plan got a little sub-mission added to it. Apperantly, "Spelbar" (a swedish game buisness gathering) was arranged at Skybar during the same hours as Gamer's Challenge, and Kristiansson would be glad if we could come along for a quick visit. Who am I to decline?

The place felt really extravagant (in a nice way) with a specific elevator to the floor, and some guy asking for your coat once you arrived. The only face I recognized up there were Doru Apreotesei from Avalanche, which I met at Gotlands Game Convention.

I don't know if it were his automated social skills that made him respond "I've seen you before, but from where?", as he saw me approaching, ready to do the traditional handshaking, or if he actually had good enough memory :)

Something to note on though, is that they usually have a annual voting of who's the leading swedish game developer, during "Spelbar" (if I'm not mistaken). Since our president and my other co-worker wouldn't be able to participate, Kristiansson gave the suggestion that if Starbreeze were to be deemed winners, I should be able to stay behind, recieve the prize and state our thanks and gratitude.

This came as quite the shock, since I'm the new guy that haven't even been here for three weeks, and to be requested to walk infront of the creamé of the swedish game industry, and represent Starbreeze. Of course it would've been nice, except from being somewhat awkward, but it was pretty clear that DICE would be voted for their fourth consequent year in a row.

I think Kristiansson might think highly of me, since he also asked me some day ago, to answer a interview for Electronic Gaming Monthly. That wouldn't be any problem at all, but they requested something like 500 words about something rather specific, and I think I'll have to waste alot of words on describing stuff that got no relevance to the story whatsoever, to make up for that.

Back to the present (or a few hours ago). After finishing my free Cola (alternative was beer, which I wouldn't prefer), and socializing a little with some FragZone staff, we left so we would be able to participate at Gamer's Challenge aswell.

Was nice to meet Gnarf, Calle and Kajfa again. Kajfa, actually devolped one of the games they had a tournament in, and is now working at Avalanche. I got a chance to play some Dawnspire while I were there, which is sort of like WoW battleground only, but that's actually good, instead of the contrary. I recommend you to give it a try (link at the end of this post).

On my way back here, I got to know that my travel expenses might get payed since I acted as a "Starbreeze representative". Hehe, I should've worn my Starbreeze shirt today after all :)

About other things that might be worth mentioning, is that I've started to spend my weekends on learning myself their way of scripting, so they might find even more use of me, beyond Quality Assurance ;)

Oh, I collected my passport from the police station yesterday, so I'll be ready to travel to London any day now. But it seems like it's going to be the next week instead of this one. Tomorrow, we're going shopping on Ikea, to make things even more pleasent (like it weren't enough sweet already?) around the office.

Somehow, I feel a bit pampered (in a good way), and the free massage last week didn't do anything to worsen the situation. Let's hope I don't have to wake up anytime soon, and relize that this was just all a dream...

Dawnspire

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No dream!!
You deserve it ALL!!!
=D

I just hope that a suitable girlfriend will pop up too
You never know..maby on the super market =P

Then your life will become 100% perfect


sannis_84

Dopefish said...

The problem is, that all the good girls are already taken ;)

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of girls left. I know it!!

Or else you can ask some guy if you can borrow his girlfriend =P

Sannis_84