Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Why change a winning concept?

So the Wii became 25% more expensive than expected, and is only going to be at a 25% performance compared to the other next-gen consoles. Even though the price makes it a hard bargain next to a Xbox 360, the latter is almost entirely positive. Combined with the Wiimote, the only thing game developers really can do for the Gamecube 1.5, is to implement fun and innovative gameplay.

They will most likely not be able to amaze you with any stunning graphics, especially not in the wake of Gears of War. Speaking of which, I'll have to try for myself to see if the game actually is a 10/10, or just overrated because of the engine itself.

I'm very critical against new games that I haven't seen anything new or updated in the gameplay area, and only witnessed the graphic update compared to the other games in the same genre.

Good PR, a famous name and gorgeous graphics can sell you a bucket full of the past. This isn't of course always bad, doesn't we all get nostalgic from time to time?

Also, if it's been done over and over again, eventually it must become refined and perfected, the pinnacle of a genre, does it not?

Although, soon enough the word genre will become a synonym for cliché. Developing the perfect game formula from statistics will never revolutionize anything. Statistics is based on previous experiences, and the thing we (atleast I do) want is a new experience.

So here's the anti-climax of my post, the new experience I'm currently looking most forward to, the 12th subsequent sequal of the Zelda franchise. Ain't I'm quite the hypocrite?

Well, in my high expectations of this game, hopes of it overcoming my nostalgic love for Zelda: A link to the past, I've watched the first three trailers, and then denied myself any previews or trailers after E3 2005.

I haven't read or seen anything after the E3 2005, so all I know about the game is summarized below:

Zelda:Twilight Princess - E3 2004


Zelda:Twilight Princess - Trailer 2, March 2005


Zelda:Twilight Princess - E3 2005

No comments: