Friday, September 01, 2006

What were you thinking?

So, I'm standing with my bags packed... waiting for the two of my friends to finish up, so we can rush down to the harbour, to the boat. The clock is ticking by, and things aren't looking good. I'm advised to go ahead, something I felt was really needed, and I barely make it.

This means, if I barely made it, and the other two were coming after me... well, they had to take the trip the next day instead.

Whoa, I'm travelling out in big, scary, Sweden by myself, getting some backup coordination through mobilephone so I'll know what transportation to take and where to find it. All goes well, and I arrive late that evening in Uppsala.

I get a comfortable inflatable to sleep on, but for some reason, I'm unable to sleep. I wake up, look at the clock... CHRIST, we've overslept! Then I wake up again, check the clock, there's plenty of hours to go before I'm actually supposed to wake up, damn confusing dreams.

I wake up, by the sound of the construction site across the street, building some office complex, 6 o'clock in the morning. Close the window, and back to sleep. I wake up, and there's still 15 minutes to go until the alarm clock would've teared me apart from the dream world anyway.

Tired and anxious I share breakfast with the friend I was overnighting at, before he went to work. I followed him, since I was going to the same place anyway, for that job interview. Since they had a non-disclosure agreement waiting for me at my arrival, I'm unfortunately unable to share pictures or too much info of what happend.

Well, they gathered a few people, and stuck me in a room, grilled me with a few questions and had something more in storage to make sure that I was the man they were looking for. All in all, I thougth it went well, but a suggestion for everyone that's seeking employment at a game development company, you should read up as much as you can about the company before your interview. If not to make sure you atleast know who they are, it's to show that you're very serious about joining them. I didn't do any indepth study though.

They tell me that they would come back to me again within a week, or a week and a half. I hang around the office for a while, and read a few magazines that had front pages representing their games. I take up my mobilephone to check the clock... or so I thougth, but it seemed that my pocket somehow were empty.

Scurrying around their complex, revisiting the spots I've been at, without luck, the mobile is nowhere to be found. So, I enter my friends office, explains my problem, and that I suspect I left it as his house. That phone was my only life line if I need coordination, or missed a transportation.

I couldn't ask him to leave in the middle of his work, just to take me back to his home because I forgot something. He comes up with a plan, prints out a map, write down directions and lend me his keys, his bike and his mobilephone. I'm heading out for adventure!

Bicycling around Uppsala holding a map without any further sense of direction, is a experience in itself, and I somehow manage to navigate without stopping to ask a single person. Upon entry, I immediately spot my mobile lying on the breakfast table, snatch it, and head back the same way I came.

Back at the their office, I relize their doors are locked and I don't know the code, so I pick up his phone to call his direct number to ask him to open up, but he had some weird keylock. What know? I couldn't use his phone and I couldn't get in... then I relized, that I've just retrieved my own phone... clever.

(Well, I would've unlocked his phone eventually, with my enigma code breaking skills...)

It's time for dinner, we decide on pizza, and I get another map to the train station for safety. The pizza was good, we take farewell, and I start walking. It will be interesting to know when the train departed, since I didn't have any schedule, so I'm just carelessly strolling towards the train station.

On the way there, I spot a bookstore, and there's this book I'd wanted, feat. a pizza delivering hacker, wielding katanas. Of course I must have it. My request makes the clerk respond in recognition, and told me there's been someone else asking for that book and they didn't have it then. The other clerk tells the first clerk that they might've just bougth in it, and it's possible that it's in one of their book carts (the small vans with the books they haven't placed in the shelves yet).

"If they have the book I'll get the job", I think to myself, not because I believed superstition like that, but it's fun to just play with the thought. They had, and for a good price to! Happy for having gotten their only ex of it, and for my luck, I keep following the map towards the train station.

"If I also, makes it to the train, just in time for its departure, I'll get the job", I think to myself yet again. The next train heading to Stockholm will depart in 10 minutes. Lucky!

Sitting their on my lucky train, reading my luckily bougth Snow Crash, my phone starts to ring. Must be mom, making sure that everything have went well and that I didn't miss the train. "Hello again, where are you now? I was wondering if you could come back up to the office". This is not my mom, atleast not if she haven't somehow managed to transform her vocal cords to sound exactly the same as the guy that just interviewed me for the job.

"Ehhmm, I'm at the train heading towards Stockholm now."
"Oh, I see, I thought it would better to talk with you about this in person, but I was wondering how much you would need to be payed, to moved from Gotland to Uppsala?"
"Ehmm, uh-huh, oh, ehmm, thanks!"

So now I'm being full-time employed in the game industry, before even turning 21! Well, I'll turn 21 tomorrow, and I haven't actually signed their contract yet, but the deal is settled, and that's what matters ;)

I'll be moving to Uppsala within between 1-2 weeks, so let's party the remaint of my time, so I'll leave the island without regrets. Damn, I'm going to totally miss everyone at school, and our gatherings together... but farewell, and the fish says thanks!

Have you ever been Starbreezed?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the employment! :D

Anonymous said...

Grattis Dope, fan va gött asså.

GL!

Bartie said...

Grattis! :D

Anonymous said...

Grats :)

Anonymous said...

läst din blogg sen ca. ett halvår tillbaka, kan ju bara säga Grattis! =)


/Needled

Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy birfday :)

Anonymous said...

dubbel grattis!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Woooppie! Grats grats!

Dopefish said...

Thanks everyone, and a little extra thanks to Perdita for the lovely picture she made :D

Gnarf said...

Riktigt kul att du fick jobbet! Välkommen in i branchen :)