Thursday, December 07, 2006

A hole in one...

The red outline marks the missing content of my tooth, and the grey area right above it is the nerves. So, I had a hole as big as half my tooth, stretching all the way up to the nerve. I hadn't felt any pain from it at all, just a little sensation from getting cold water on that tooth, so this was quite suprising.

You know the drill, if there's a hole in your tooth, the dentist prefer to take out his drill and make it bigger (or whatever they do with it). This is nice and all, except from me being too resistant of anesthetics. This means that they had to sort of drill a big enough hole in the tooth without any help from sedatives, so that they could inject anesthetics directly into the nerves themself.

It's ok to have a needle sticked into your nerve, since the pain is linear, unlike the very chaotic one you get from drilling. Well, that helped a little but not enough, so they had to drill some more to reveal the other nerves and give them each a seperate dosage of anesthetics, and even after that I had enough feeling to sense the work of the job, but it wasn't quite as unbearable this time around.

So, after much trial and error, I recieved a total of four to five anesthetics, and I'm not even numb. While cleaning out the tooth, they used some really strong mouthwash, and then I really mean really strong. Got some in my air path and had to cough a bit.

Also, I'm quite hungry since I didn't have any breakfast, and I'm not allowded to eat for a few more hours. Also, it wasn't cheap at all to get this done, not cheap at all, and I'm yet to come back the 10th of January to get the root filling and patch it up.

To summarize everything; I don't like going to the dentists...

EDIT: The hole existed before I got all the chocolates from Perdita, so it wasn't caused by that.

3 comments:

Lena said...

Byt tandläkare!

Michael Wynne said...

I had a similar experience the other week - but they used a laser(!) and no anaesthetic. Was not actually that bad! Next time ask for the laser!

Dopefish said...

More pew pew, less QQ? :)
I'll be sure to check if they do have a laser next time. I think I would much prefer that, if nothing else, simply for lasers are cooler than drills ^^