Monday, January 30, 2006

It's tough, studying game development, part 3

Woke up early today at 08:00, well prepared to be able to make it in time with the bus that was supposed to leave the bus station at 09:35. Had no bread at home so I made isterband and spaghetti for breakfast instead. Me and William left home well in time to make it to the bus station.

At 09:20 I was halfway over the parking lot and called Samir to ask if he would join us to the bus... to my great suprise he said he was already on the bus and that we wouldn't make it because it's already started moving... I went like "What?!" and saw the bus turn in the corner infront of me... SHIT! "I got an idea", I shouted at the same time I turned off the mobile, made a 180 and started running as hell.

I ran around a house and ran across the crosswalk, infront of the bus forcing it to slowdown... and William ran after me, but slipped on the ice and landed flat on the crosswalk infront of the bus. I don't know if he took the sacrifice to force it to a complete stop or if he just was unlucky/lucky, although I ran back to help him up before running further next to the bus stop like 15 meters away, almost running alongside the bus and waving to the driver that we wanted to get on, and we did.

Completly exhausted, we sat down on a seat next to our classmates in the back of the bus, cursing over why the hell the bus left early... apperently as we found out later, it was two different buses, one leaving at 09:20 and the other one at 09:35... but that didn't matter, we felt like heroes (atleast I did) making it in time even though it seemed impossible.

A jolly good walk up to the military facility, p18

Rafael focusing his gun kanta

Well, safe and sound in the 'classroom' comfortable walls, we started out with strapping on our WearLinks and heart rate monitoring clocks. Of course we had high pulses after the early marathon of the day...

This turned out to be another belly day, we should celebrate that each week

After some basic powerpoint slides, introductions, namelists and a explaination on what we'll do for the rest of the day, we went on to the shooting range. There we recieved some instructions about how we would do the shooting, pairing up in groups, what weapon we would fire with (a glock of some sort), and how dangerous it was and how we would handle it safely.

Eager classmates, waiting to shoot, like kids on christmas eve

Me, putting Rafael in a life and death situation with my thumb, just look at my desperate expression...

Rikard giving out lessons about shooting

Rikard: "What have I done?!" Mattias: "omfg!"

Me showing the target who's the man...

Before shooting the first round, my pulse was at 117, above relaxed pulse and close to anxious. This was my first time shooting a live weapon, and I was well aware beforehand that this is nothing like ingame, and shouldn't even be compared in that way. The only resemblances is that ingame, the model represents a weapon, and except from the looks, it's not same at all. With that said, I can admit my pulse dropping to 104 after the first shot, a normal pulse meaning I'm comfortable in the situation... I was enjoying it.

I didn't care too much for aiming, I just liked the feel of shooting, and I atleast hit the target with all of my five bullets. The sound was much louder than expected, and even though the recoil was small, you really felt it and it came as a surprise for the first time. After shooting, dining was next, and todays menu was isterband with dill potatoes... bah...

The rest of the day was mostly talk about biological stuff and some further pulse readings. At a test were it had three columns, one for relaxed, one for normal and one for stressed, I maxed out on stressed, with 100% with no changing values. Most people had 0% or very low in the stress column and the rest of the percantage spread among the normal and relaxed column. Must be because I'm having a hard time with OpenGL and I really want to be good at it, as soon as possible.

After school, most of us got tired of waiting for the bus home so we walked our way back. Once again I got persuaded to go for a swim (if anyone remembers my last drowning attempt) at Solberga badet, and this time it felt really good. I took it easy, relaxed each time I've swum a length, and stayed alive the hour we spent swimming. And of course I won our sauna competition, holding out the longest in 91 degree celsius.

The evening continued with buying snacks for watching a movie on the projector in my room. We warmed up, listening to game music on the highest volume, and then the LAN dude came over to pick up his computer. I helped him carry down his stuff, and when I met his dad that I haven't met for a while, I got a instant "It looks like you've lost some weigth"... I felt happy and the urge to buy me a scale to check up on this statement.

When I got back up, we started watching Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit, a long name indeed. It felt a bit crowded with a total of seven people in my room (including me), although we've been more once before.

When closing my window, Marcus accidently knocked over my christmas present from my sister, and shattering it's fragile glass. I think he felt really bad for it, but you have to expect stuff like that to happend when it's this crowded, and it turned out to be very low quality so if he hadn't accidently broked it, sooner or later I would've, and besides, they vacuum cleaned part of my room, which is always nice (I don't do that too often). Also I'm glad it wasn't something else, and I'll just try to persuade my sister to give me a new one instead.

After the abrupt halt, we finished watching Wallace & Gromit, and I must say that I'm very pleased with the movie. With this and Dark Water, I've seen two great movies recently, something that gets rarer and rarer to find. We ended the evening to fast forward to watch most of the fight scenes in Tom Yum Goong (Ong-Bak II), which is recommended, because the parts in the movie without the fighting is horrible.

Now I've probably spent a hour or two to sum up the day, and I feel it have been a great day and I feel much more relax now than when I did during the pulse test earlier today/yesterday (100% stressed)... getting up in a few hours again so I guess I'll have to pummel the bed soon... it's tough, studying game development...

It's tough, studying game development
It's tough, studying game development, part 2

No comments: